In Development- The Ladies’ Mantle

One our most recent projects has been the development of a set of outerwear patterns, starting with a circa 1889 mantle based on period patterning methods. While we had excellent luck with the first prototype, we wanted to refine the design further, starting with a slightly larger wing collar. Also, we decided that adding cuffs would also make the design more interesting so we’ve also developed a pattern piece for those. Below are a few pictures of the base shell- we still need to add various trim:

Here’s a close-up of the collar:

We still have a ways to go before they’re finished but so far, it’s proven to be an excellent design that provides an excellent foundation for many refinements and variations. Stay tuned for more! 🙂

And For A Little More 1883 Harper’s Bazar…

This is a continuation of a project that I’ve been working on for myself starting back last Fall. and it’s provided inspiration to a bridal dress project I’m currently working on that will be made in ivory.


Do you ever have a “dress crush” and you have to have it at all costs? I waited for a few years until the one perfect fabric came my way, and then I pounced on it!

Pattern matching fun…can you find all the areas that I used that concept? It was fun!

To the eye, this era appears to looks “upholstered”, but it’s deceivingly lightweight when done correctly. Everything is hand tacked in place, there’s not much of a chance of this gown flowing in a breeze.  🙂 Stay tuned for more updates! 

1883 Harper’s Bazar Day Dress Project…

Finally, pictures of my 1883 Harper’s Bazar gown completed with train attached. Three coordinating silks, original button suite and lace. We’re currently making this style for a bride (in ivory) and adapting it for other client orders. Patterning from original pattern sheets is difficult, but it’s all a part of our evolution to achieve the perfectly authentic shape…and it allows me to “enjoy the journey” a bit more.